Skip to main content

English as a Second Language (ESL) FAQ

  • Can I get help completing the PPCC application?
    • Yes! Please contact Kandy Ruiz at 502-3028 (A-110) to make an appointment.
  • Can I get help paying for my classes?
    • Yes, most of our students get financial aid. Citizens, resident aliens, and refugees may be eligible. It is recommended that you apply for financial aid at least four weeks before the beginning of the coming semester. If you need assistance with filling out your Financial Aid application (FAFSA), please contact Kandy Ruiz at 502-3028 (A-110) to make an appointment. If you are not eligible to get Financial Aid, and you are not receiving other assistance to pay for your classes, please apply for The Open Scholarship
  • How much do the classes cost?
    • The cost of each class depends on the number of credit hours and whether you are a Colorado resident or a non-resident. Grammar classes are five credits each; pronunciation classes are three credits each; all other ESL classes are four credits each. Many of our students get financial aid to help pay for classes. Please see our estimated tuition information.
  • What is a credit hour?
    • A credit hour is equal to one hour of classroom instruction. For example, a grammar course, which is five credits, meets for five hours a week for fifteen weeks, or one semester. Each course has a different number of credit hours, so be sure to check the number when you plan your class schedule. To be considered a full-time student at PPCC, you must be enrolled in a minimum 12 credit hours a semester.
  • What methods of payment can I use to pay my tuition?
  • How do I qualify for resident tuition?
    • Resident students are students with resident alien cards, or U.S. citizens, who can prove that they have lived in Colorado for at least one year. (Colorado Driver's License or Colorado State I.D. card are usually used as proof of Colorado residence.) If you are active military or an active military spouse, you can apply to receive resident rates. See our Enrollment Services office (A-110) for more information. Non-resident students are students with tourist, visitor, and other visas or other students who have not lived in Colorado for at least one year.
  • What information do you have for undocumented, DACA, or ASSET students?
    • Please see PPCC's undocumented students page. These students may qualify for Colorado State Financial Aid.
  • How long is one semester of classes?
    • The fall and spring semesters are 15 weeks long. The summer semester is shorter and is 10 weeks long.
  • What classes are offered in the summer?
    • We offer basic and intermediate level classes during the summer semester. Advanced level classes are not offered in the summer. The summer semester is a ten week semester, and all classes meet in the daytime.
  • How do I register for classes if I am in another country?
    • International Students who have F (student) visas must meet with Audrey Faulkner before they can register. Please call (719) 502-2484 to make an appointment.
  • Can I get a refund if I drop my classes early in the semester?
    • Yes, you may receive a full refund of your tuition if you drop your classes by the drop date.The drop date is usually in the second week of classes and is listed in the current class schedule. After that time, you will not receive a refund.
  • What books will I need?
    • For the spring 2022 semester, textbooks will be provided by the college for free and will be sent to your home address. Be sure PPCC has your current address. Check your PPCC email account in January for a message from PPCC letting you know what books you will be receiving and when they should arrive at your home.
  • If I need extra help in a class, is tutoring available?
    • Tutoring sessions are available in the Learning Commons for ESL students who need extra help with homework assignments or have questions about class work. The tutors are ESL instructors and are familiar with all of the classes that are taught here. Stop by Room A-200 for tutoring as well as technology and library assistance. You can check for tutoring times after the first week of the semester.
  • What's a good place for me to connect with other students of diverse backgrounds and to get more conversation practice?
  • When I finish ESL classes, can I continue at PPCC?
    • Many of our students continue at PPCC! When you complete your ESL courses, you then take a general placement exam for the college, and you can take any number of classes at PPCC that you want.
  • Can I take the bus to Centennial Campus?
    • Yes, you can, and it's free for current PPCC students! Please see our bus information page to learn more.
  • Where can I receive training to become an ESL instructor?

Get started in ESL

Apply to PPCC Request Information